Y Felin has had several owners from the 1640s, the period about which there is documentary proof. Amongst these owners two families stand out. One is the Webley Parry family who owned the Mynachlogddu Estates in Pembrokeshire and who bought various properties in or near St. Dogmaels including Y Felin.
Eventually the mill passed into the hands of another well known local family, the Gwynnes, who it seems had some interest in the property prior to the Webley Parry's. The mill was worked by several generations of Gwynnes until 1926 when Mr. Evan Gwynne died aged 56.
The mill is today owned by Mr. and Mrs. Michael Hall, who purchased it in 1977 from the estate of the late Mrs. Phoebe Mary James, the last descendant of the Gwynnes to live at the mill. Since the beginning of 1980, the Halls have been restoring the mill to its former state. The millpond was reflooded for the first time in nearly thirty years on Easter Saturday, April 18th, 1981.
Flour (1.5 kg)
(prices are currently being revised - contact the mill for latest information)
|100 % Wholemeal|
|Garlic & Chive|
|Seed & Herb|
|100 % Rye|
|Rolled Oats (1 kg)|
|Bran (750 g)|
|Soda Bread Mix (500 g)|
Please note that all prices are subject to carriage and packing charge
Orders can be made by phone to: 01239 613999
Or by email to email@example.com
The Mill is open throughout the year, 10-5.30 Monday to Saturday and 2-5.30 on Sundays. However on winter weekends it is best to phone in advance to confirm opening hours.
The welcoming tea-room, and its terrace with a view of the mill wheel, is generally open daily, offering tea and cakes made from Y Felin flour. The shop within the Mill itself sells flour and booklets; informative leaflets are also available.
Y Felin is situated in the village of St Dogmaels / Llandudoch, about a mile East of Cardigan town but on the opposite (S) side of the Teifi river, on the B 4546. St Dogmaels has many historical remains including the ruins of the Abbey, founded in the 12th Century, and 5th-6th c. Ogham memorial stones on view in the Church. Fishing, shipping, and shipbuilding were the main activities of the inhabitants until the early 20th Century. Another mile or so downriver are the well-known Poppit Sands.
The postal address of the mill is:
Y Felin, St Dogmaels, Pembrokeshire, SA43 3DY, UK.
Phone: 01239 613999 international: (+44) 1239 613999
The Ordnance Survey Grid Reference for Y Felin is SN 165 459 (Landranger Sheet 145)
A Holiday Cottage adjoining the Mill is available to rent - enquire at the Mill
Another website about Y Felin - in course of arrangement
The Traditional Cornmillers Guild http://www.tcmg.org.uk
Shakespeare plays in August:
The Abbey Shakespeare Players http://www.abbeyshakespeare.co.uk
A mill in the Old North (Langwathby, Cumbria):
Little Salkeld Watermill http://www.organicmill.co.uk