The precise origin of Carew Mill is uncertain. It is possible that a mill worked by a leat running from the Carew River pre-dated the building of the causeway which retains the huge tidal millpond. Documentary evidence indicates a mill of some kind existed as early as 1542. Records show that in 1558 John Bartlett leased the mill for the sum of 10 sovereigns per annum.
The present building dates from the early 19th century and indeed one of the two mill wheels carries the date 1801. The term “French Mill”, often used about Carew, may be a reference to the use of French burr stones.
Activity finally ceased in 1937 and from that time onward the building lay derelict. Tie bars were later fitted to the south side to save the now splitting structure.
Renovation was carried out with the aid of funds from the Historic Buildings Council of Wales, Pembrokeshire County Council and Pembroke Rural District Council. This work was completed in 1972 and received an award in The Times Conservation Award Scheme. The National Perk Authority acquired the lease of the mill in 1984 and has continued with restoration and improvement work, including the provision of the reception area and audio-visual facilities. It is hoped that the south wheel will at least be able to turn some of the auxiliary machinery on a regular basis in the future.
We are open to visitors as a tourist attraction from April 1st (or Easter) until the end of October, 10am - 5pm. The entry fee is £3 / £2 to both Mill and Castle.
Access: for wheelchair users, access is to ground floor only. Disabled toilets (RADA key).
Facilities available: Refreshments, Toilets (at Castle Reception - 500m), Flour sales, Shop, Car parking.
The Mill lies in the Pembrokeshire National Park on the upper reaches of the Carew river, a little way downstream of Carew | Caeriw village (A4075) past the spectacular Castle and 23 acre millpond; about 6 miles west of Tenby | Dinbych-y-Pysgod and 5 miles east of Pembroke | Penfro.
The postal address of the mill is:
Carew Tidal Mill, Carew, Nr. Tenby, Pembs, SA70 8SL, UK
Phone: 01646 651 782 International: (+44) 1646 651 782
The Ordnance Survey Grid Reference for Carew Tidal Mill is SN 042 038 (Landranger Sheet 158).
Further information on the Mill's own website: